An Afton residence was damaged by fire Saturday.
The Greene County Sheriff’s Department responded to 490 Bill Martin Road around 7:15 PM after the home caught fire near a wood stove.
The victims said they had been laying in the bedroom watching TV when they then noticied smoke coming from the living room. The ceiling and roof area above the fireplace was then discovered to be on fire. One of the victims exited the home and retreived a garden hose to extinguish the fire while the other resident called 911.
Upon the arrival of the Sheriff’s Department, no open flames were visible and fire personnel were inspecting the attic area. According to the report, damage was contained to the area above the wood stove.